About Precision NanoSystems Inc.
Precision NanoSystems Inc. (PNI) proprietary NanoAssemblr Platform enables the rapid, reproducible, and scalable manufacture of next generation nanoparticle formulations for the targeted delivery of therapeutic and diagnostic agents to cells and tissues in the body. PNI provides instruments, reagents and services to life sciences researchers, including pharmaceutical companies, and builds strategic collaborations to revolutionize healthcare through nanotechnology. https://www.precisionnanosystems.com/
The Senior Research Associate will contribute to a wide range of projects including the development and commercialization of novel nanoparticle reagents, microfluidics and instrumentation to enable the field of genetic medicine. The individual will have a diverse set of molecular biology and genetic engineering skills with significant experience in PCR based molecular cloning, PCR based recombination techniques, nucleic acid recombinant DNA technologies, analytical method development, next-generation sequencing (NGS) techniques, site-directed mutagenesis, RNA or protein synthesis, DNA and viral vector design and engineering. The individual must be comfortable with yeast or bacterial cloning, manipulating primary & immortalized mammalian cell-lines, genetic modification of cells and a wide range of cell-based assays. The successful candidate must be adaptable, who can work well with people from a diverse interdisciplinary background, and able to multi-task with excellent critical thinking with attention to detail. A track record of successful research contribution or significant industrial R&D research experience will be an asset.
Areas of Responsibility
- Contribute to a wide range of projects, including a nucleic acid-based platform technology for regenerative medicine and vaccine applications
- Contribute to establishing new techniques in-house, perform routine iterative testing and supporting external collaborations
- Responsible for designing and conducting experiments with input from the assigned supervisor
- Collect and analyze experimental data, present data at meetings, provide conclusions and outline future work plans
- Troubleshoot experiments and identify abnormal or unexpected trends in data
- Support all technical documentation related to projects and product development
- Collaborate with internal teams to ensure successful project completion including providing support to Product Management, Manufacturing, and Operations when required
- Provide technical support to staff and customers (product use, protocols) as needed
- Provide training on laboratory/product protocols to lab personnel as needed
- Set up, calibrate and perform routine maintenance on specialized laboratory equipment
- Ensure that the necessary laboratory supplies are available and perform tasks related to supporting the operation of the laboratory
- May be required to perform other related duties as needed or assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- MSc or equivalent in the Life Sciences (e.g. Molecular biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Sciences) with 4 - 5 years of academic or industrial experience; Recent PhD graduates in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or Biotechnology may be considered
- Recent 3 years of hands-on lab-based experience in Molecular Biology laboratory
- Significant experience in PCR based cloning and Cell-free nucleic acid synthesis is a considered valuable asset
- Experience working in pharma or biotech industry would be advantageous
- Ability to independently design, conduct, analyze and troubleshoot experiments
- Experience in developing DNA-based expression vectors for mRNA and protein synthesis
- Experience in working with both prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells
- Experience with a wide-range of laboratory techniques including PCR, qPCR, RT-PCR, Plasmid preparation, DNA, RNA & Protein gel electrophoresis, Northern blotting, Western blotting, ELISA, chemical transfection, electroporation, expression vector library construction etc.
- Experience in working with nucleic acids (e.g. plasmid DNA, mRNA, siRNA) and nucleic acid purification methods
- Sound knowledge of genetic & epigenetic mechanism of prokaryotic and/or eukaryotic gene expression
- Experience with bioinformatic software tools as well as statistical analyses of experimental data is an asset
- An understanding and interest in the use of nanoparticle technology for non-viral gene delivery would be an asset
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) both in one-on-one and in a group setting with the ability to organize and present technical summaries of scientific data
- The individual must be a team player who thrives in a dynamic environment with multiple tasks and aggressive deadlines
- Proven ability to apply critical and analytical thinking
- Must be a resourceful, proactive, detail-oriented individual who is able to work with minimum supervision
- Project management skills will be considered as an asset.
PNI provides a competitive compensation and benefits package with excellent opportunities for personal growth.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Posting valid until filled. No solicitors please.
Precision NanoSystems, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.